This building was erected in 1907-1908 as a combination administration and classroom building for the Sixth District A & M School. The state closed the school, then known as Georgia Industrial College, in 1933 and offered the campus to Gordon Military College. The high school and college departments moved to this new campus and at that time the building was renamed in honor of Charles E. Lambdin, first president of Gordon Institute. The lower grades stayed at the original campus on Thomaston Street, where the public library now sits.
This building was located between Lambdin Hall and one of the barracks. It served as the armory, Commandant's office and other functions from 1933-1972. It was originally built for the Sixth District A & M school as a combination blacksmith shop and woodworking shop in 1911. The building was torn down in 1974.
Pound and Powell Halls were identical buildings and were originally built for the Sixth District A & M school as dormitories for the girl and boy students. In 1933 when Gordon Military College took over the campus the dormitories were renamed Pound and Powell Halls. Pound Hall was named in honor of Jere M. Pound, Gordon Institute alumnus and three term president of Gordon Institute. Powell Hall was named in honor of Gordon Institute trustee, Captain R. J. Powell. The two dormitories were torn down in 1974.
Willis House was built in 1914 and served as the infirmary for Gordon Military College cadets from Fall 1938 through the 1960s. It was named for Dr. Clarence H. Willis, local doctor, Gordon graduate and Board of Trustees member. Sometime in the 1960s it was converted to a girls' dormitory and after the college joined the University System of Georgia it continued to function as a dormitory. The building was torn down around 1996-1998.
Two older dormitories, Gray and Pound, were replaced by Turner Hall and Turner Annex. These were named for the Turner family associated with the school: Captain B. M. Turner, and his son, Ben Turner who were trustees as well as his daughter, Miss Lilly Turner, who was a teacher at Gordon. Turner Hall served as a dormitory from 1924 to 1972 and was also called T- Street Barracks and Thomaston Street Barracks. It now serves as the Lamar County Courthouse Annex.
Turner Annex served as a dining hall, dormitory and recreation center for Gordon Military College over the years.
Memorial Gymnasium was built in 1934 as a WPA project and named Memorial Gymnasium to honor the Gordon men who fought in World War I and later World War II. It was supposed to have been partially built with lumber from Gordon Institute's first building. After serving as a gymnasium and plant operations it was renovated in 1999 to serve as a dormitory. It was named Guillebeau Hall, for Colonel Joseph Edwin Guillebeau, a former professor and the longest serving president of Gordon Military College.
Smith Hall was built in 1939 as another WPA project. Named for Walter Bryon Smith, an 1882 graduate and Board of Trustees member, this building served the two year college offering classroom space, library space and housing the Dean of the College's office. It currently houses the School of Education.
This dormitory, formerly known as the Wooten House, was named for Frank Oliphant, a former president of Gordon and his sister, Josephine Oliphant, principal of Gordon Grammar School.
Gordon Military College opened a new Military Science building in 1957. Later it was officially named Woodward Hall for J. C. Woodward. President Jere M. Pound hired J. C. Woodward to start the military program at Gordon Institute in 1890. Woodward later went on to found present day Woodward Academy. The Military Science building was torn down sometime around 1983- 1987. It was located on the lawn area found in front of the Academic Building.
Connell Hall, built in 1961, is named in honor of Dr. George Boyce Connell, a former professor and vice president of Gordon Military College. The groundbreaking was accomplished by a Delta Missile, one of the few times a missile has been used in such a way. Connell Hall, from 1961 to 1972, served as a dormitory for the military cadets. From 1972 to 2007, after the college became part of the University System of Georgia, it served as a dormitory for Gordon College students. The building was torn down around 2007.
Mr. Cannafax with his bull used in groundbreaking for Alumni Memorial Hall
In 1962 a bull was hitched to a plow and used to break the ground in preparation for the new combination auditorium and gymnasium for Gordon Military College. The following year saw the dedication of Alumni Memorial Hall to all Gordon alumni. The guests at the dedication included 1915 alumnus, Senator Richard B. Russell. Alumni Memorial Hall was recently renovated in 2004 and continues to serve as a gymnasium and auditorium for Gordon College.
Russell Hall opened in the fall of 1966 as a combination science classroom, lab room and library building. In 1969 the building was named for Richard Brevard Russell, a class of 1915 graduate and U. S. senator from Georgia. The library was named for Mrs. Augustus Riviere Lambdin, alumnus, professor and librarian. After the library moved into its own building, Russell Hall continued to serve as home for the Natural Sciences and Mathematics Division until 2003 when the division moved into a new building. Currently Russell Hall is home to the Business and Social Sciences Division as well as the Education Division.
Watson Hall was built in 1965 and named for Larkin Douglas Watson. He was a former professor and president at Gordon Military College and is credited with the college gaining two year status. Watson Hall, from 1965 to 1972, served as a dormitory for the military cadets. From 1972 to 2008, after the college became part of the University System of Georgia, it served as a dormitory for the Gordon College students. The building was torn down around 2008-2009.
Gordon Email | Banner Web | Log-in Station | Library | Directions | Contact Us | Text Only
419 College Drive Barnesville, GA 30204 678.359.5555