Importing and Exporting Favorites
You can share lists of your Favorites between computers by using the Import and Export feature in Internet Explorer. This is helpful in situations like:
- saving your Favorites to your 'H:' drive for future importing to another computer or to your own computer after it has been ghosted (erased)
- sending yourself a folder of Favorites that you have gathered from home to school
To Export a list of your Favorites
- Open Internet Explorer using the computer that your Favorites are saved on.
If the menu bar is not visable at the top, click on the Tools Option at the top right, hover your mouse over Toolbars, and then choose Menu bar.
From the Internet Explorer Menu bar, go to File > Import and Export.
- When the Import/Export Settings comes up, choose the Export to a file radio button and click on the Next button.
Next, check the box next to Favorites and click on the Next button.
Select the folder of Favorites you wish to Export. By selecting the "Favorites" folder, the entire list will be exported. If you only want a certain folder to be exported, select just that folder. To continue, click the Next button.
- After going to the next screen, choose Browse... and navigate to the location where you want to save your favorites. You can leave the File name as bookmark.htm. We recommend saving your favorites to your H: drive.
- Click Save.
Click on Export to save your favorites to the location you chose in step 7.
To Import a list of your Favorites
- Open Internet Explorer on the computer that you want to Import your Favorites into (you may need to turn on the Menu bar by following step 2 under To Export a list of your Favorites above).
- Next, go to File > Import and Export. . .
- When the Import/Export Settings dialog box comes up, choose Import from a file.
- On the next screen, check the box next to Favorites and click on the Next button.
- Browse to the exported file that was saved during the steps under To Export a list of your Favorites. (see top of page)
- Click Open.
To continue, click on the Next button
- Choose the destination folder that you want to put the Imported file into ("Favorites" is a good place to put it).
- Your Favorites should now been imported.
"Import and Export Favorites." Information Technology Help Center. 1995-2005. Kent School District. 23 Feb. 2006 <http://www.kent.k12.wa.us/KSD/IT/TSC/managing/hardware/desktops/import_export.htm>. Permission granted by Carol Jansen, Applications and Web Systems.