Brightspace by D2L Student Resources
- What is Brightspace by D2L?
- How do I log into Brightspace by D2L?
- My password for Brightspace by D2L isn'My password for Brightspace by D2L isn't working. What should I do?t working. What should I do?
- I do not see all of my courses in D2L. Where are they?
- I do not see any content in my Brightspace by D2L course. What should I do?
- I need help with Brightspace by D2L. Who can I contact?
- I need to learn how to use Brightspace by D2L. Where should I start?
- How do I locate the content, materials, and files within my Brighspace by D2L courses?
- How do I view my grades within my Brighspace by D2L courses?
- How do I take quizzes within my Brighspace by D2L courses?
- How do I submit assignments within my Brightspace by D2L courses?
- How do I post a discussion within my Brightspace by D2L courses?
Brightspace by D2L is a program used by faculty here at Gordon State College. Many choose to load documents, post grades, and send announcements through this program. You might be asked to submit assignments through Brightspace by D2L.
Log into Brightspace by D2L (here) using your Gordon email username (do not include @gordonstate.edu) and your current Gordon email password. You are strongly encouraged to use Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers when using Brightspace by D2L.
Try resetting your password here. Input your Gordon email username (do not include @gordonstate.edu), answer the security question, and input a new password. Make sure the password is 10+ characters and includes uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and/or symbols. Also make sure that you see a "successfully reset" screen.
There are several explainations as to why you might not see your courses in D2L.
- Did you check the course list in Brighspace by D2L? If you don't see the courses listed in your "My Courses" widget, it may be that they have become unpin. Look to the waffle area in the top right of the screen to see if the course is listed there. If it is, you can select the pin icon to add it to the "My Courses" area.
- Has the semester begun? You won't see your classes in Brightspace by D2L until the first official start date of the class (which might be different for half term courses).
- Did you recently register for the course? It usually takes up to 24 hours for you to be added into the Brighspace by D2L course after you have registered for it.
- If you still cannot see your course, email email@example.com and include your name, 929 number, and the course/section you should be enrolled in.
Even though every Gordon State College course has a Brightspace by D2L course, the instructor chooses how much he/she will use the shell. If you do not see any content or grades in your Brightspace by D2L course, please check with your instructor to determine if and how much he/she will use Brightspace by D2L.
You may email firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, 929 number, course/section, and a detailed explaination of your issue. You may also chat live with a university system representative here.
The following videos (click on the image to open them) will provide tutorials of how to navigate Brightspace by D2L.
Getting Started with Brightspace by D2L: This video will include:
- Logging into Brightspace by D2L
- Resetting your Password
- How to Seek Help
- Locating Your Courses in Brightspace by D2L
The Global Homepage: This video will include:
- Viewing Global Annoucements
- Using the Global Homepage Navigation Bar (D2L Help, GALILEO, NetTutor, & ProctorU)
- Using the Brightspace by D2L Calendar
Navigating and Account Settings: This video will include:
- Uploading a Profile Picture
- Turning on Email or Text Notifications
- Adjusting Font Size in Brightspace by D2L
- Editing Email Settings in Brighspace by D2L
Brightspace by D2L Email, Alerts, & My Courses Widget: This video will include:
- Accessing Your Courses through the "My Courses" widget
- Accessing Your Courses through the waffle area
- Pinning Courses to your "My Courses" widget
- Brighspace by D2L alerts for email, discussion posts, and updates
- Using the Brighspace by D2L email (Note: This is different than the Gordon State email.)
If the instructor has loaded content into the course, you will access them by selecting the course in the "My Courses" widget and selecting "Content" from the top navigation bar.
This video will explain how to access, download, and print content in your Brightspace by D2L courses.
Some instructors may choose to input grades into the Brightspace by D2L gradebook.
This video will explain how to view individual grades, current average, and written feedback within your Brightspace by D2L courses.
Some instructors may load quizzes in Brightspace by D2L. You should be aware that:
- Once a quiz is opened, you must finish it in one sitting (you cannot stop/start quizzes)
- Avoid using smartphones or tablets when taking Brightspace by D2L quizzes
- Short answer/Essay questions are not auto-graded by Brightspace by D2L
- You may be able to go back to the quiz and see the questions you missed afterwards.
The following video will explain how to complete a quiz within Brightspace by D2L.
Some instructors may ask that you submit assignments or activities into Brightspace by D2L. You should be aware that:
- Some assignments submitted to Brightspace by D2L will also be submitted to Turnitin (for plagerism detection)
- You cannot submit an assignment after the deadline (which should be listed in Brighspace by D2L)
- You should receive a confirmation email after submitssion (to your Brightspace by D2L email)
- You might be able to review feedback for your assignment in the "assignments" or "grades" area.
- You can re-download your files from the assignments area up until you lose access to the course.
The following video will explain how to submit an assignment within Brightspace by D2L.
Some instructors may ask that you post discussions into Brightspace by D2L. You should be aware that:
- You cannot edit your posts once they are submitted, so it is encouraged to type them into Word and then copy/paste them into the discussion.
- You cannot post after the deadline.
- You may be asked to post an original response and reply to others. You might not be able to reply to others until you post your original message.
The following video will explain how to post an original as well as reply posts in Brightspace by D2L discussions.