Gordon State College has partnered with ProctorU, which is a program that helps protect the academic integrity of programs around the world and provides unique value with the industry’s largest and most trusted provider. Students, especially in online courses, might be asked to use ProctorU as they complete online exams. With ProctorU, the student is able to complete their exam from their own computer at a distance, but is monitored via a ProctorU employee to ensure the integrity of the exam. A live proctor sees the student via a webcam, checks his/her ID and takes a photo of him/her to help verify your identity. Using techniques based on fraud protection and banking standards, students are then asked to answer challenge questions. Finally, keystroke analysis software creates a profile for the student. Proctors ensure the integrity of the exam using a three-step process.
Students can schedule exams through D2L (for exams that use D2L) as well as through the ProctorU website. The first time you use ProctorU, you will need to make your free account. Make sure to use your Gordon email. During this process you will be asked to take a photo using your webcam. After logging into your account, select the ‘New Exam’ tab and then choose the exam you would like to schedule. Choose a date from the calendar and a time from the drop down menu. Available dates can be seen in blue, and available time slots will be shown in the drop down menu. Click ‘Add Reservation’ to add the appointment.You may be taken to the payment screen once you add your exam to the schedule. Please provide the necessary information and then click ‘Submit’ to authorize your credit card payment. All major credit cards are accepted. Please make sure to schedule your exam at least 72 hours in advance in order to avoid a late fee.
The exam fee is based upon the length of the exam (in minutes). This is based upon the allotment of time the professor provides- not on how long the student takes in the exam. (For example: If the teachers allows 70 mins for an exam, but the student only takes 45 mins, he/she will still be charged the 70 min rate.) ProctorU accepts all major credit cards.
|30 Minutes or less||$8.75|
|61- 120 Minutes||$19.75|
|121- 180 Minutes||$25.00|
|181- 240 Minutes||$30.00|
If students need to reschedule their exam, they can access their ProctorU account (through the ProctorU website or D2L) and there will be a reschedule button available to click.
- Computer (Desktop or Laptop Only- No iPads, Tablets, or Google Chromebooks, Smartphones). Check here for an entire list of specifications.
- Webcam (can be integrated into your laptop or an external USB plugged into the computer)
- Microphone (You may use an internal microphone or a headset/microphone.
- Google Chrome (Download here), Mozilla Firefox (Download Here), or Safari (You may NOT use Internet Explorer).
- High Speed Internet Connection (No Hotspots)
- 2 Photo ID cards (one must be government issued, the other can be a school ID)
- Google Chromebooks
- Android tablets (Nexus 7, etc.)
- iOS tablets (iPad, iPad mini, etc.)
- Linux operating systems
- Microsoft Windows 10 S
- Microsoft Surface RT
- Computers Running Virtual Machines
- Visit www.proctoru.com/testitout to check your equipment before logging infor your appointment. Ensure you are using the same computer in the same testing environment that you will be using for your appointment.
- Test your equipment around the same time of day that your exam is scheduled. For example, if your exam is Friday at 7:00 p.m., test your equipment around 7:00 p.m.on an earlier day of that same week.
- Ensure you are in a well-lit, quiet and private room. The lighting of your room must be daylight quality, and overhead lighting is preferred. If overhead lighting is not possible, please ensure your light source is not directly behind you. This will make it difficult for your proctor to see you.
- Make sure you are testing in a private room. You will not be able to test in a library or computer lab with other people.
- Please have 2 photo ID cards ready. One MUST be government issued (such as a driver's license). The other may be a student ID (or another ID with a photo).
- Please bring a reflective surface such as a mirror. This helps you show the edges of your monitor to your proctor.
- Please close out of all programs, applications and websites that do not pertain to the exam.
- Remember to take your exam in a private location and that nobody is allowed in the room during your appointment.
- Please remove any hats, sunglasses and headphones.
- Be sure to remove any unallowed physical and digital notes that do not pertain to the exam from the workspace.
- Please remove any cell phones, tablets, smart watches or laptops not connected with the live proctor from the room.
- After Logging into ProctorU, you will connect with a live proctor from one of our online proctoring centers via your webcam. This proctor will help you through the exam process and is available during the exam if technical difficulties arise.
- You will connect your screen to the proctor. This allows the proctor to see your computer screen and assist with step three so you may begin your exam.
- The proctor will need to know that are the correct test taker. The proctor will ask you to show a photo ID. The proctor will then snap a photo of you for your profile. Once completed, the proctor will ask you to answer a few questions about yourself. These questions are generated from a public information database.
- Please contact ProctorU at least 24 hours before your appointment. If you fail to show up for your exam without notice, you will not be eligible for a refund.
- Arrive at the time you selected when you scheduled the exam. If you have any technical difficulty or any other problems preventing you from logging in at your scheduled exam time, please use our LiveChat feature at the bottom of the screen.
- There is an additional charge added to all exams scheduled less than 72 hours in advance. For more information on scheduling, please use the LiveChat feature or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Our proctors cannot access your computer files without your knowledge. With your permission, proctors have the ability to view the screen and utilize the mouse and keyboard as if they were sitting next to you. Once the exam starts, the proctor will monitor everything on the computer screen, but can no longer utilize the your mouse and keyboard. During the entire process, a chat box is running on your computer, and you can see what permissions the proctor currently has at any time. The entire chat session log is saved, including a permanent record of what actions the proctor took while accessing your computer.