Presidential Search and Screen Committee
- Important Dates for Listening Forums
- Presidential Search and Screen Committee
- Summary of Stakeholders Listening Forums
- Position Description for President of Gordon State College
Message from the Presidential Search and Screen Committee (PSSC)
Presidential Search for 4th President of Gordon State College, September 14, 2017
Dear GSC Faculty, Staff and Students,
On September 7, 2017, the Presidential Search and Screen Committee (PSSC) was charged by the Chancellor and the Regents Special Search Committee to assist the Chancellor and Board of Regents in the search and screening process for the 4th President of Gordon State College. As chair of the PSSC, I would like to provide you an update. Our charge from the Board of Regents is to seek qualified candidates for the position of GSC President, screen candidates for the position, and interview a sufficient number of candidates to be able to provide the names of 3-5 unranked persons to the Chancellor and Special Regents Search Committee. The Special Regents Search committee will recommend a finalist(s) for consideration to the full Board of Regents who will make the final choice as to who will become our next president.
Parker Executive Search Firm will assist the PSSC with achieving its charge. The firm has extensive experience with conducting USG presidential searches. Members of the firm will assist the PSSC with targeting a wide and diverse nationwide applicant pool and will provide logistical support.
Our goal is to identify the best possible candidates to provide leadership to our institution. We are managing this process to achieve that goal; however, we need your help and assistance as we move through this effort.
We are requesting that you encourage any prospective candidates you know and that believe are ideal to be our next president to apply for the position. You may also forward their name and contact information to me or any of the other PSSC members so we may contact them directly.
In order for us to be effective in the screening process, it is important that we get input and insights from GSC faculty and staff, students, alumni and the citizens of Barnesville and the surrounding area as to the qualities and expectations we desire in the next GSC president. To that end, the PSSC will have listening forums with each constituent group: students, staff, faculty, alumni, and members of the local community, and one open listening forum. The listening forums will be held on September 21st and September 22nd, with location and times posted below. The PSSC will also provide a means to communicate your ideas and thoughts using an online survey if you are unable to attend one of the listening forums. The PSSC will incorporate summaries of the listening forums into the position announcement and make them available on this webpage. The position announcement will be advertised nationwide in multiple publications including The Chronicle of Higher Education, Diverse Issues in Higher Education and Women in Higher Education.
The Board of Regents will announce the finalist(s) for the presidency. However, please also note that we will be protecting the confidentiality of candidates as they move through the search process. To that end, interviews for the candidates will not be open to the public. This approach is designed to ensure that we have the broadest pool of candidates possible for this position; currently sitting presidents, provosts, etc. may prove unwilling to publicly put themselves forward as candidates because of potentially negative impacts on their current position. Those persons may be the most qualified to be our future president, and we would not want to restrict or reduce the pool of candidates as this would not be in the best interest of Gordon State College. However, we cannot do this important job alone. We will need your help and input as noted above.
Please join us in this effort to search for candidates for Gordon State College’s next president. Any recommendations should be sent to Laurie Wilder or Porsha Williams at Parker Executive Search firm or may be directed to the PSSC committee members:
Dr. Lynn Rumfelt
Chair, Presidential Search and Screen Committee
Thursday, September 21, 2017 NAHS 123
- 9:30 AM – 10:15 AM | Faculty Listening Session #1
- 10:30 AM – 11:15 AM | Student Listening Session #1
- 11:30 AM – 12:15 PM | Staff Listening Session #1
- 12:30 PM – 1:15 PM | Lunch with Presidential Cabinet/Administration
- 1:30 PM – 2:15 PM | Faculty Listening Session #2
- 2:30 PM – 3:15 PM | Staff Listening Session #2
- 3:30 PM– 4:15 PM | Student Listening Session #2
- 4:30 PM – 5:30 PM | Community: Open Listening Session
Friday, September 22, 2017 NAHS 123
- 8:30 AM – 9:30 AM – Listening Session--- Open to all
- Bernard Anderson, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Mathematics, GSC Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
- Peter Banks, Mayor of Barnesville, and Emeritus member of GSC Foundation
- Terry Betkowski, Professor of Mathematics, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges Liaison, Interim GSC Department Head of Mathematics and Computer Science, and Assistant Vice President of Institutional Effectiveness
- Andy Bush, owner, Bush Farms LLC and former Chair GSC Foundation
- Amelia Daniel, student and Vice President of GSC Student Government Association
- Jim Edwards, United Bank CEO and Chair of GSC Foundation
- Cristina Fermin-Ennis, Ph.D., Professor of Chemistry, GSC Department of Biology and Physical Sciences
- Chaisty M. Joiner, student and President of GSC Student Government Association
- Erica Madoni, Clinical Health Counselor and Chair of GSC Staff Council
- Kevin Napier, M.D., Internal Medicine of Griffin, Georgia and GSC alumnus
- Jeff Rogers, Ph.D., Professor of History, GSC Department of History & Political Science
- Lynn Rumfelt, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Biology, Chair of GSC Faculty Senate, and Chair of Presidential Search and Screen Committee
- Mary Williams, Associate Professor of Nursing, GSC School of Nursing & Health Sciences
President Nomination Form: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/YK86B3X
The document linked below was complied after Parker Executive hosted a series of Listening Forums and heard the qualities and characteristics the faculty, staff and student bodies hopes the next President will embody.
The following position description was derived from the Listening Forums.